I can never get my head round how I’m supposed to spell jewellery. Think that’s right, but it could be jewelry. Instagram thinks it’s jewelry. But then Instagram is American and full of deception and lies.
Anyway. Here is a recap of the dress and bits I made for Fantasy Forest festival last year….
This is not the best picture in the world but you can clearly see the necklaces and flower crown which I made to match the dress. I kind of forgot to get dedicated photographs of them on the actual day.
So firstly the flower crown. I have made another like this in the past. I got the blank horns attached to a headband from AliExpress. I am really pleased with the particular seller I found as they were cheap but securely attached and also comfortable to wear , which the previous horned headdress I made categorically isn’t.
So yeah, I basically just added some paint texture to the horns and then glued a load of flowers onto it
The jewellery was a bit more complicated. I’d bought the mini rams skulls a few months previously and had no idea what to do with them. They are resin and were advertised aquarium toys on AliExpress. Then when I made the dress and finished the front the way I did it was immediately clear it needed Viking style brooch and chains going across the front.
Now I have some Viking style brooches I’ve been playing with that I also got off AliExpress but they need holes drilling into them to take the chain and they are not the best quality and I was not in the position to fork out large amounts of money for nice ones. Then I remembered the rams heads.
I used two part epoxy glue to stick some basic pendant bales and brooch pins I found in bulk on amazon onto the back of them. I was really nervous about this bit as I’d never used two part epoxy glue before and was torn between nervousness that it would stick to everything and never come off and that it wouldn’t work and even that wasn’t strong enough to take the weight of the rams heads and it wouldn’t stand the English weather. But it was fine. It worked perfectly and the necklace has since been through the worst storm the British summer can throw at it without disintegrating so I’m pretty sure it’s going to last.
Then I just strung them with pearls and blue semi precious stones I got from the bead man in Covent Garden Antiques Market.
I know it’s a bit of an affectation to use real gemstones for costume jewellery, but I really do like the effect it gives, & although they are real pearls they are Chinese ones, & like £4 a string so it isn’t like I’m spending a fortune on this stuff. Anyway I spent about £50 on the gems in total and have enough left for at least one more necklace.
Anyway, the cross body brooches were loosely based on the idea of Viking ones, but obviously zero attempt was made at any kind of historical accuracy
And here is the full set….
The two brooch sets are identical but I used different colour wooden beads in each, this is because of what I had in my hoard at that particular time.
In the necklace I used Tibetan bone beads as well.
In the end I had two rams skull pendants left over. One of which has become another necklace (which I’m sure I’ll get around to blogging at some point) the other is still sitting there waiting for inspiration to strike.