So finally this weekend I got round to taking photos of the top I made a few weeks ago…..
This top was based once again on my self drafted pattern and I was going to just make it in plain black, but the black venice lace I’d picked up from etsy turned out to be terrible quality (which is what you get if the price on something looks too good to be true) and I didn’t want to wait around for a new load to be delivered. So I had a look in my lace cupboard and realised I had a load of vintage blue stuff that would go perfectly which was great, but the pattern also needs a thinner lace, and the only one I had the right thickness was burgundy. So I looked at the fabric and well, it does have blue and burgundy in it, and then I had a load of yellow buttons lying around that were the right size (I think I got them as a free gift when I bought something else off etsy, so thank-you very much whoever those were from!) so I thought, either this is going to work brilliantly or be a complete disaster, but I had enough of the fabric for two tops and rather than wait to get more conventional looking supplies I decided to just go for it. The fabric itself is jersey from Lewisham market last year.
I think it has worked really well actually. I wore it to one of my Mum’s coffee mornings and all the ladies there liked it and thought it was a “proper statement top”. I am intending to style it up into a Dolly Kei co-ordinate at some point, but I don’t have a suitable skirt at the moment, so this will have to do. The necklace is an old one my Mum bought me from accessorise ages ago. Skirt made by me last month.
I am not doing any sewing at the moment as I am still struggling with my health too much. I have a couple of woollen winter skirts ready to go as soon as I do get the chance, and then hopefully I will get to play with interesting gothy stuff after Christmas.