I have decided to take a break from bloging about London Edge, partly cuz I’ve actually made stuff, and partly because I’m currently working on something really complicated, so I’m going to need stuff to post next week. 🙂
Anyway, I finally finished the skirt I’ve been working on for pretty much the best part of a month. But life and random colds and stuff got in the way. Its here now though….
Now this doesn’t instantly look very punk rock, but I was suffering from a massive neither-of-us-can-be-arsed-to-do-the-ironing crisis on Sunday when we took the pictures, and as Jon is away pretty much all week, there was no real other opportunity to take photos for several days. I did however wear it to a gig on Friday night and it went down a treat.
Close ups of the shape and the fabric will show what I mean…..
It’s houndstooth! No attempt at pattern matching was made as I had less than a meter and a half of the fabric so was squeezing the pattern in any way I could manage. It is however slightly longer than I would naturally wear with a skirt of this style, because it is made out of stretchy wool and lined and designed to be worn in the middle of winter basically.
I did alright on the inside.
Nice ribbon round the waist band so that it doesn’t itch and my little label thingy so that it does anyway thing going on.
Also a double layer of venice lace round the bottom of the underskirt . Partly to use it up as it was cheap and crappy and there are not many things it goes with, partly because I had to slightly shorten the underskirt as the lace dangled out from under the skirt a little, so I stuck the second layer on to hide the tuck where I shortened it. The second layer also goes for a bit of a walk up the underskirt at one point, but as its an underskirt you can’t really see that. My perennial issue of trying to sew when I’m feeling tired and ill though.
Anyway I am really pleased with it, so have another picture of me wearing it….
Also in the last couple of weeks I mended some necklaces, one of which I made a couple of years ago, one of which I made a few months ago, but I haven’t ever really blogged about my jewellery making attempts, so I thought I’d post them here….
A steampunk necklace I made a while back. The beads are grey pearls and garnets, all the charms and findings are antique brass off etsy, and the cabochons have closeup images of fungi inside them.
With this one it needed a new clasp as the clasp decided to break.
Here it is worn….
The other necklace was a lot more recent, and I was most annoyed as it caught on something in my toilet bag and the plastic thread snapped, so I had to restring it entirely….
The big beads I was told was jasper, but looking on the internet it looks nothing like, they are really strange though, they have this crackled leather or coal effect on top, and when they warm up the paler ones go sort of transparent and really warm. The small beads are onyx.
Anyway, this is it on….
Its kind of my default black necklace at the moment.
Anyway, no more sewing stuff for a bit as I am working on quite a big project, so need to make mock-ups and stuff. However hopefully it won’t take me too long, and other stuff in the meantime. 🙂