So in my head this year has been a bit of a disaster making things wise. I went awol in Spring for three months, thanks to a bit of overenthusiastic exercising kicking off my medical condition and I’ve been so busy with family stuff this Autumn and Winter I just haven’t had the time I’d have liked to be creative.
However, when I actually went through my blog to see what I’ve done, it’s not remotely as bad as I thought……
Thats 10 items of clothes made,(ok, well one is technically an embellishment not a make from scratch) non of which are flops, & all of which get regular outings in both Jon and my wardrobes, apart from the Regency Dress, which has been worn once, fancy dress balls have been a bit thin on the ground lately & the dance class I was attending has folded due to lack of interest 😦
Last year I managed 14 with 2 not functional, so its only actually 2 less. Which considering how ill and busy I’ve been I am really quite happy with.
As far as next years sewing goes I’m not going to set any concrete goals, apart from the Regency dress, I managed non of mine from last year.
Before Christmas I was feeling completely overwhelmed as I had a humongous pile of mending, three zips went at once, one of them invisible 😦 Sadly two of the zips were my own fault for buying cheap zips from Rolls & Rems in Lewisham rather than decent quality zips from central London. But I got really stressed and didn’t have time and energy to sort it, & it was all piled up on my sewing table looking a mess.
So yesterday I just worked through it, & its all mended now. Specially proud of the invisible zip as that was in a shop bought dress that is one of my favourites and I would have had to throw away otherwise. Also its only my second invisible zip (I’ve been doing normal zips for years) & it went perfectly, & took a good two hours less time than my first one, which considering I had to hand stitch the lining with this one and the first one I did the lining on machine, is excellent.
I’ve tidied my workspace and my sewing cupboard, putting scraps away and making it a bit easier to get at things. I’ve bagged up my Christmas dress (sob) and put that away….I’m still not sure what to do with it. My issue actually now I come to analyse it is that now I’ve cut the fabric out it looks a little different from how I was intending & I’m not completely sold on my design idea, but I’m not feeling a lot of lolita inspiration to come up with something better at the moment, so I will shelve it for now. I was listening to a lolita podcast yesterday though and I got a bit excited, so hopefully I’ll start feeling it again soon. Its somewhere easy to get at if I want to get it out again.
For now I’m going on a jersey sewing binge. I’m making another Tilly and the buttons Coco dress (as made by me here) as since I made that its been in the wash pretty much every time, its just so comfy, & so easy to wear.
I’m going to make a couple of Sewaholic Renfrews, a pattern I’ve sewed too any times already, but a couple went in a 60 degree wash a few months ago and hell polo necks are fashionable at the moment. I’m finally going to get round to that one in red I’ve been meaning to sew for 2 years, & I’m going to do a basic one in grey.
Hopefully as I seem to have come back from Christmas with no major ailments (touch wood) I’ll manage them in a month or two. Order completely subject to change as I’m still trying to work out how to do them with the least number of changes to the overlocker thread.
All of which seems a little boring, but I do need the damn things, they’ll be quick to sew, & hopefully then I will have inspiration for a few more going off on one or lolita projects.
Anyway, I’m off to sew while I’m feeling all enthusiastic.
Happy New Year!