So the first mention of this I can find in my sewing queue is back in October 2014 It reappeared in my sewing goals for 2015 but completely failed to happen. So now in March 2016, may I present to you, a bright red Renfrew Top…..
So this has been in the works a very long time, I made the skirt it is pictured with back in February 2014, and swiftly realised that although it works brilliantly with black tops, for variations sake a red one would be nice. I got the jersey in Rolls and Rems in Lewisham a few weeks later. It was a bit of an impulse buy, & one largely driven by laziness as I wasn’t feeling the idea of going shopping up Goldhawk Road, & buying plain jersey on the internet has been decidedly hit and miss for me (well at the prices I’m prepared to pay anyway). So it was £5 a meter, which was a bit more than Goldhawk Road would be, but given I didn’t have to pay train fair or lunch, I figured it worked out. At the same time I bought some burgundy jersey which ended up being this and this. Immediately I got it out of the shop into the sunshine I realised I’d made a bit of a mistake, what in fairly gloomy light looked a slightly darker fire engine red, turned out to be bright orangey tomato in daylight. The quality of the fabric wasn’t quite as good as the burgundy either, its not bad, but its not top quality either. So I sat on it for a few months, & then stuck it in the washing machine with some slightly pinkier red dylon. It sort of worked. Its not much darker now, but its taken the absolutely glaring edge off it.
So yeah, it went in my sewing queue and then just kind of stayed there. I was still a bit unconvinced I guess and would rather sew stuff I was 100% sure about.
Till a couple of weeks ago, when I realised I had a major shortage of basic tops, red became even more of a priority gap in my wardrobe, & I saw something about Pantone colours suggesting that tomato red is going to be a big thing this year, & I thought I really ought to get round to it.
There was also going to be a frilly version in this style, which I’ve made several versions of over the years. But I’m kind of not as into it as I was, they are a pain to iron, my style has simplified slightly, and its not a colour I could ever envisage myself using for lolita, so I’m leaving the rest of the fabric for now, & having a think about what to do with it at some point in the future.
So I’m reasonably pleased with the top I’ve made anyway. Its still not my ideal red colour, but its a useful basic to have. I’m planning another one in grey, but I had to wait a week or two before starting it as I was waiting for the overlocker thread I ordered to turn up, & now its Easter, so I won’t get started on that for a week at least.
I have been doing some knitting and some embroidery though, so hopefully I’m keeping some kind of momentum up.