So actually I’ve been quiet on here, but fairly busy with sewing.
I’ve finally finished my Colette Patterns Moneta dress. I’m reasonably impressed, it was easy to sew and all, and this being my first time making it I followed the instructions pretty much to the letter.
However I was much concerned by there being no instruction to stabilise the neckline. & indeed the neckline on mine is somewhat lower cut than on a lot of the versions on the internet (though it does seem to be more of an issue with the plus size pattern range looking at peoples photos, than with the standard sizes.) If I make this again I’m going to have a good look round for pattern hacks on the internet for ideas how to stabilise it better.
Part of the issue may be the fabric I chose though, the jersey I used was terribly soft but somewhat drapey and stretchy and a little bit see through. One of the things I’ve noticed about high street clothes over the past couple of years or so, is that since cotton prices went up a few years ago, instead of putting prices up the way you’d expect them to, the stores have shifted to using slightly thinner cotton in their jersey fabric. this is noticeable on the street, but also on the local market store, as they get samples from the hIghstreet stores design studios. Luckily I have a massive stash of all different types of jersey some going several years back, but the piece I used for this dress is a tiny bit thin and stretchy for my liking, and that reflects in the low neckline.
I actually quite like the neckline though, it looks deliberate and super off the shoulder necklines are in fashion right now, so its really not a problem.
The necklace in the photo is from Curiology & says Witch. Their site is down for a few weeks at the moment, so I can’t add a link, but I am completely obsessed with their jewellery, I have three pieces. I love the fact they can make an fairly normal outfit instantly and casually goth.
The other thing I made this month was a dress for my Mum for her birthday. She really liked my versions (here & here) of Tilly & the Buttons Coco dress, so when I found some grey sweatshirting down the market stall, I thought it would be nice to make her one as well. (It also helped that there was a sale on some of the patterns, so my Mum has her own custom size one now, which is just as well as she goes across 3 sizes, which is a nightmare!)
Anyway, here it is, hanging on the door of my wardrobe before I sent it to Mum, due to the continuing heatwave I haven’t managed to get any pictures of her wearing it yet.
Anyway, future sewing plans are somewhat up in the air at the moment. Looks like there will be a winter version of the Goblin Kings Ball, we may well be going to the SciFi Weekender next year, & I’m determined to actually finish my xmas lolita dress, so theres lots of fancy sewing coming up, in amongst the less exciting but still necessary job of padding out my everyday wardrobe. So I’ve got a schedule again. & I really need to be getting on with things. Eeeek!