Archive | June 2019

Odds and sods

So this week I’m going to post about two things I made that don’t really warrant an entire post by themselves…..

Firstly last year I adapted a lolita dress I got very cheap to fit me when it was originally far too small. It took me till well into this year to get proper pictures though.

I’m not sure what the formal name of this dress is (lolita dresses tend to have names- often fairly random and highly imaginative ones) but it is by a Chinese brand called Infanta. It’s several years since it was released and I clocked it pretty much immediately as a dress I was very interested in (I saved it on my tumblr back in the day in several iterations) but it was a lot harder back then to get Chinese lolita dresses sent to the uk and I couldn’t justify paying full price for something I was clearly going to have to rip apart to fit me.

But I was overjoyed when I found it on the lolita sales community last year for not very much money in really good condition.

So this is the front, this is just what it would look like anyway, you can’t see any of my adaptions on it…..

It’s worn with a bell sleeves top and necklace I made myself, the wristcuffs were a free gift with a dress I purchased and the flowers are probably H&M from back in the early 00’s when H&M for about 3 years was the place to go for cheap good quality silk flowers. The headband is Topshop, also several years ago.

& here’s the back, this is the bit I altered…

It’s hard to see because helpfully I’m wearing black with black, but there is a panel of shirring in the centre back. I unpicked the side seams of that and inserted panels of a matching crepe backed satin on either side, making the gathers at the back of the skirt looser to fit.

So now I’ve done that successfully I’ve got another two lolita dresses lined up that I intend to adapt the same way.

The other thing I made that doesn’t really warrant its own post is yet another Sewaholic Renfrew Top, this time in Liberty jersey for my husbands mum.

This is it on its recipient…..

I wasn’t sure that it wasn’t slightly too big, I ended up taking measurements about a year before I got round to making it , but Jon’s mum said she likes it so that’s ok.

I have about 4m of this jersey left, in two different pieces. I’ve ended up acquiring three lots of it, all from different places, but it all seems to match. I’m not sure what to do with it though. In comparison to other liberty jerseys, like the one I made this dress out of, it is very very thin and drapey. It’s quite hard to work out what to use it for.

The staring eyes.

A few months ago I posted about this top , made with Stoff and Stil jersey with eyes on it that ended up in my mother’s wardrobe not mine because as the jersey had pretty much zero stretch, it ended up way too small.

Well eventually, after mucking around for several months having zero enthusiasm for the project, I remade it. I added about an inch to each side of the pattern and under the arms. (sewaholic Renfrew incase anyone’s wondering. I have made this many times before – hence the over confident cock-up with the first one)

It fits fine but it still feels a little close because of the non stretchyness of the jersey….

So I’m really happy to have that back. You can’t really see that much difference with the first version, but it doesn’t ride up at all and it feels a lot more comfy…

As well as the top though, I’d like to talk about the skirt I am wearing in most of the pictures.

This started out life as a Violet Fane Oracle skirt. Well it still is, except it’s had a new waistband out of heavy navy cotton in order to fit my measurements (which are somewhat larger than was required to fit into the original skirt) I removed the purple and gold bow from the waistband and I had a load of navy crochet lace left over from my Strawberry Thief Dress so I wacked that round the bottom to match the new waistband.

Here are some pictures of the skirt with a better outfit…..

Sweater was Topshop nearly ten years ago now, base top is probably Laura Ashley, the galaxy cat necklace is Curiology and the Lapis and purple Pearl necklaces were made by me.

To be honest I haven’t got round to doing a lolita co-ord with this skirt, its fitting rather well into my everyday wardrobe and it washes ok, so I’m just wearing it for casual.

After the disaster trying to sell last year our flat is now back on the market, which means no more sewing for me for the next couple of months. However I’ve got loads of knitting and jewellery making lined up to keep going with.

I’m also months behind on updating what I’ve sewn on here so I’ve got plenty to keep posting anyway.