Tag Archive | cutsew

humbug top

Surprisingly well after the scifi weekend, so I was able to get on with stuff this week.

Got the fabric for this from the lady on the market who sells high street store samples on for £2/£3 a meter.

I’ve Known exactly what i was going to do with it since I bought it, but its taken 5 months to get round to it.

humbug top


This is a remake of this top which I designed myself from an old h&m number, so it was good to see if the pattern I had drawn up worked when the knowledge from deconstructing the old one wasn’t so fresh in my mind. I’m pretty pleased with it. The lace needs sewing down I think as its refusing to stay flat (still need to find a reasonably priced source of better quality venice lace!) and I think the pattern needs tweaking round the yoke, though I’m not sure about that, the jersey turned out to be awfully slippy and awfully thin compared to what I’d hoped, so I have a feeling its slipped a little during sewing, which is why the edges look a bit bumpy on the close up of the yoke below.  That certainly isn’t how the patterns drawn.



The buttons were also from the market stall lady and are kind of like honeycomb and gorgeous.

Not entirely sure what to sew next. I am going away to Italy in summer and if I start on suitable sewing now I might get it done in time and not have to buy anything, however that involves buying new patterns and maybe even new fabric, and I have a load of stuff in a big queue and I’m skint and the weather is still awful (its snowing today) so I may start on something from that instead.

Need to do a load of cleaning the house first though 😦 so I suppose I’d better get on with it!

finished the top of doom!

Wow, ok, this one has taken me the best part of two months then! :-S

To be fair, in the middle I got ill for a week, Jon got ill for a week and had a weeks holiday off work, so that was 3 weeks nothing could happen in, but its been soooo slow!

So I started out with this……Image


Its a long sleeved t-shirt/cutsew from h&m, once upon a time it was black not grey and did not have holes in it, but I reckon that time was about 2004/5 ….around the same time as the famous h&m jsk happened if anyone reading this is an oldschool loli.

And it was utterly my favourite jersey top ever, and I have literally worn it to death, so I decided to take it apart and make a new one.

Which should have been relatively simple, except I have been a little more under the weather than normal lately, and I figured out fairly early on that remaking a top you really need a clear head for, and then there was the unpicking….using a seam ripper on overlocked thread is virtually impossible! And in some places there were layers and there was construction to work out, so it wasn’t just possible to go at it with a pair of scissors.



This is one of the sleeves with construction scribbles all over it.

Once I’d finally cut the thing up I drew round it for the pattern onto dot and cross pattern paper, and then made the top as normal. Apart from a hiccup towards the end where I sewed the cuffs on backwards, which was down to tiredness, not the pattern, it went like a dream. It was especially good because I didn’t have a clue in some places how the construction was going to work. I’d cut the pieces out, I knew they went next to each other in what order, but I really couldn’t be sure from looking at the pattern pieces that it was all going to add up. But it did! 🙂

This is the finished item laid out on the table….



The jersey I used was a really slippy cheap one I got off Goldhawke Road, but it is really soft and not bad quality. Instead of eyelet lace in the original (my only gripe with it, the stuff was a right pain to iron) I used venice lace, but it is cheap venice lace of etsy, so it is quite stiff and not amazing quality.I am reserving judgement as to whether to use it again until it has been through the wash. There is no way I was going to shell out £4 a meter+ for something that is essentially a wearable muslin though. The buttons were off Lewisham market.

Me in the top….





The skirt is one I made a long time ago.

And the boobie shot..or a close-up of the lace and buttons as its also known!



i am intending on making another one in the next couple of weeks.

In other news…I have put on a bit of weight again 😦 once again it is medical, and finally the doctor has got a sensible plan for dealing with it. This involves medication that i can’t be put on whilst i’m as fat as I am, so i have to loose about 10kg first :-S So as my ME has been a bit better lately I have started doing zumba a couple of times a week and hopefully that and starving myself will work quickly enough that I take off the weight needed before the next flare up happens and I put it all back on!

I also took this photo (and then doctored it heavily with various apps) that Jons band ended up using on the back of their flyer….



It is of the water on the Regents Canal.