Tag Archive | Dutcholdmasters

Floral old masters dress

So nearly 6 months ago now a lady whose sewing blog I followed on Instagram ( @vladivos) ran a competition where for the winner she would have a look through your Instagram and pick a fabric and a pattern to give to you to make. & for once in my life I won something and was absolutely over the moon when she sent me the Deer and Doe Patterns Belladone dress pattern and this amazing Dutch laser printed fabric….

It is fairly thick, almost something like drill and was panels of the most beautiful Dutch Old Master Still Life painting of flowers, complete with caterpillars and insects. So she nailed it, it was something I was so excited to make.

I hadn’t tried the pattern before or indeed anything by that company so I made a mock up for my Halloween costume very quickly ….

And it fit lovely with only a bit of minimal tweeking to stop the back panel gaping.

Then I got hit by the winter of never ending flu and it got parked. (I would be in deep despair over my chronic fatigue and general health worsening except most of the endless stream of illness I caught was off Jon who has been ill just as often (he just recovers quicker) & I know loads of people who have had flu 3 or 4 times this winter – so it’s really just been a shit year for it in London, it isn’t just me.)

Finally a couple of weeks ago I was well enough to give it a go. & finished it just in time to go on holiday to Split in Croatia last week and get some pretty photos amongst the Roman ruins and medieval buildings.

Excuse the fat arms – weight gain is a massive side effect of the medication I’m on, I don’t know why it all piled on my arms like that, it isn’t the most attractive, but as I have to keep taking the medication and the chronic fatigue means I can’t do lots of high impact exercise, I’m unfortunately stuck with it. But it was far too hot for a cardigan, & obviously the cool back detail would have been covered if I’d worn one.

I’m pretty much happy with it. The armholes gape a bit on the shoulder. I know what to do to fix it if I make it again (which I probably will)

I’m really pleased with how the print placement has worked out. I have got to say that cutting this was one of the most nerve wracking but also one of the most creative sewing jobs I have ever done. I turned the panels sideways – luckily as a floral still life it didn’t matter – to get the full skirt width out of them. This pattern has a lot of pieces, & although actually I have quite a large piece left at the end (potential tote bag?) it was quite tight fitting them all in and getting them in the right place so the dress looked balanced.

I think the end result is one of my favourite dresses I’ve made in a long time.

Next up is a black bell sleeved Sewaholic Renfrew top to wear under this when the weather is less glorious.

I know the number of Renfrew tops and Lady Skater and Coco dresses I make must be really boring for anyone reading this blog, but I get soooo much wear out of them. I have three tops to make in the immediate future and then I am planning to start experimenting a bit more. I’ve been buying patterns quite a bit and I’ve been gifted a load, & I have loads of plans for interesting projects. I am keeping it very simple and easy to put away for the next month or two though as we are planning to try to sell our flat and so everything needs to be easy to put away for viewings.

Oh, & I’m not doing Me Made May this year as I spent the first week of it on holiday and I’ve got a couple of events later in the month that I want to wear specific non me-made outfits to (mostly lolita) so I couldn’t really join in. Am a bit sad though as it’s one of the best opportunities to connect with the sewing community. However I probably wear at least one me-made item of clothing 4 out of every 5 days anyway.